Monday, October 7, 2013

Soccer, gifts, and travel

A couple of weeks ago, a group of students and professors from the Aquaculture Centre of my alma mater, Dalhousie Agriculture Campus toured the farm where I work in Wood's Harbour, Nova Scotia.  Jim Duston, a current professor at the university and one of my former professors, is a soccer coach in Truro.  He rounded up enough jerseys for two teams of twelve with instructions to get a photo of them on kids in Congo!  I'm eager to deliver them, 'cause I think it'll generate some pretty good energy.


So I'm planning to return to DR Congo in January 2014 for supervision of the project and planning future endeavours.  This will be an opportunity to meet with our Regional Coordinator, Pastor Dole, interview fish farmers who have benefitted from this project, and consider ongoing objectives for aquaculture support in that region.

Traveling with Air France, as we typically do, we can check two suitcases, 50 lbs each, in addition to our carry-on.  Packing most of my personal items in my carry-on, I intend to stuff these two suitcases with gifts for Pastor Dole and his family of six kids, hosts/hostesses, and other random goodies that are not easy to come by in that area.  I have the 10 lbs of soccer jerseys, and my kids, Landon, Julia, and Jerica have rounded up cash to purchase a couple of soccer balls to go with the shirts. 

Perhaps you'd like to contribute to stuffing the suitcases.  Soccer balls (and air pumps) are a big hit with kids; fruit bars and candy are treats that are always appreciated.  Other possibilities are rain jackets, watches, and nice towels.

Let me know if you'd like to help out with filling the suitcases.  Or you can make a donation through World Hope Canada using the information on my 'Contact and Donations' tab.  Thanks for your help!

1 comment:

  1. What you are doing is amazing. I'm really proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete