Friday, June 7, 2013

John W. Corey (1949-2013)

We celebrated the life of my Dad, John Corey, today.  He died suddenly on Monday.  What a legacy of integrity, compassion, and relationship!  He leaves little undone and the only word unsaid, "Goodbye".  He was and is dearly loved and will be terribly missed.  The 500 people that visited the funeral home over the past couple of days are tribute to the impact he had on so many.

Dad and Mom accompanied me on a trip to Mozambique in 2010.  I'm so glad that we could travel to together at least once on one of my project excursions.  I valued his analytical thinking, his inquisitive mind, and wise counsel on so many things, including my activities in Africa. 



I have received several notes of condolence from colleagues in Congo--Pastor Dole, CEUM President Mboka, Engineer Ndanda.  Though they didn't know him, the link that they had to Dad through me was significant for them and their sympathy heartfelt.  This reinforces for me the valuable relationship that I share with my friends and co-workers in Congo.  What a privilege!

Such an incredible Dad and a tremendous role model.  I wish that I were more like him, but I am proud to carry at least a few of his traits with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment